Adobe Contribute Basics: Tutorial 1
In this tutorial we will load a Contribute template, edit text in that template and create a link within the template.
- Open Contribute and click the "Create a Connection to a Web Site" option.
- You'll see a message asking you if you have a Contribute Connection key. We aren't using these, so click the Next button.
- Contribute will ask: "What is the web address (URL) of your website?" Place the cursor after the "http://" in the text box and then type the following:
Note: For the "Firstname_Lastname" part, be sure to use your first name and last name.
Double check the URL you just typed. The capitalization and all other aspects have to be exact. When you're ready, click the Next button to proceed.
- On the next screen Contribute asks, "How do you connect to your Web server?" Select "FTP" from the drop-down menu. Contribute will then present you with a number of screens. Here's what you need to do:
- In the field that asks "What is the name of your FTP server?" Type in pages.emerson.edu
- In the field that asks "What is the FTP username?" Type in your ecnet username (usually Firstname_Lastname).
- In the field that asks "What is the FTP password?" Type in your ecnet password.
- Click the Next button.
- Contribute will test your connection. If all goes well, Contribute will go to a screen that asks you to type in your full name and your email address. Fill in this information and then click Next.
- Contribute will go to a screen that shows the settings you have just inputted. Click the Done button.
- Contribute will connect to the Web server and will load a Web page. This page is the template you'll be using to create your Web pages.
- Click the "Edit Page" button. Contribute will access your page and create an editable draft. Your screen will look something like this:
- Highlight the words "Site Name." Type in a new name (your choice).
- Make sure your site name is still highlighted. Experiment by changing the font type and font sizes to see how Contribute edits content.
- Highlight the words "Headline Goes Here." Use the font tools to change the font type, size and color. Note: Font color can be changed by using this tool: .
- Highlight all of the body copy ("Article goes here ... Article goes here ...") and replace it with your own text. Create at least three paragraphs of text (it can be gibberish). Make sure that each paragraph is separated by a full line of white space (see below).
- Highlight the words "Link 1."
- Change the text to "Emerson Home Page"
- Highlight the text "Emerson Home Page"
- Right-click on the highlighted text. On the subsequent menu, select the "Link Properties" option. A properties box will appear (see below).
- In the Web Address (URL) field, type: http://www.emerson.edu. Note: You must include the http:// part. Web browsers rely on this piece of data to manage links.
- Click OK. You have now created a link to the Emerson Home Page.
- Highlight the words "Link 2." Change the text to a the name of a site you often visit, then right-click on the highlighted text and insert the URL to that site (remember to include http:// at the beginning!).
- Click the "Publish" button in the toolbar. Contribute will publish your Web page.
- That's it!